KEARNEY — No injuries were reported Wednesday night after a gas line was ruptured at Ace Hardware, 307 W. 56th St., in Kearney.
The Kearney Volunteer Fire Department called Ace for a gas leak at 6:45 p.m. Ace was called by Kearney Volunteer Fire Company for a gas leak at 6:45 p.m. They directed Ace to the propane bulk storage tank where the leak was found. The staff could not turn it off.
Bosselman Energy was contacted to burn the propane that was left in the tank by firefighters. According to a KVFD press release the flare was the best method to stop a leakage of liquid propane. It will ignite the propane, and prevent it from exploding.
An estimated 680 gallons of propane were burned off, and firefighters monitored the leak to ensure the surrounding areas didn’t get to explosive levels.
The fire was out by 9:30 p.m.
One engine, one utility vehicle and 28 firefighters responded.
Gas leak at Kearney’s Ace Hardware draws big flames, attention